Mountain Bike Leadership Courses
Level 2 MTB Leadership Training Course Overview
British Cycling’s Level 2 Mountain Bike Leadership Award is the entry level qualification for anyone with mountain biking experience who is looking for the knowledge and qualification to lead mountain bikes rides. The award is also a useful course for people who simply have a personal interest in gaining all the information needed to go out on their mountain bike, be safe and have fun.
The majority of the training is practical and takes place out on the trails in Dalby Forest – a superb venue for mountain biking and arguably with some of the best trails in North Yorkshire. A practical assessment will follow after a consolidation period of approximately six weeks.
The course covers a wide variety of topics including:
- Navigation and map reading
- Planning and delivery of rides suitable for your group
- Management of accidents and emergency situations
- Equipment set up and trailside repairs
- Core mountain bike techniques
- Leading techniques and effective group management
- Trail etiquette
To attend training you will need to:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have some mountain biking experience across a variety of terrain and weather conditions.
- Be competent in the skills and techniques required to safely negotiate the typical trail features encountered at this level of the award (as a general guide this is comparable to red graded purpose built trails).
- Have an appropriate level of fitness for a days riding in the level 2 leading environment.
- Hold a current two day outdoor first aid certificate (this can be completed at a later date but must be achieved prior to assessment).
- Send us a logbook with evidence of having undertaken a minimum number of rides in the appropriate terrain within the last 6-12 months. A logbook will be sent to you when you register with British Cycling.
If you would like to gain the British Cycling Level 2 leadership award but are not sure if you have the necessary experience or you have any other questions regarding this course then contact us via email or tel: 07794 267887.
Register for the BC Leadership Programme
Before attending a training course you need to pay a one-off cost to register with British Cycling’s MTB Leadership Programme.
British Cycling will then provide you with the training manual, log book, free Ride Membership valid for one year and your log in details for the online learning programme NSPCC Child Protection Awareness in Sport and Active Leisure which you need to complete as part of your pre-course work.
Failure to register with British Cycling will mean that you can not attend the training course. All our course details will be sent to you once we have received your booking.
Cost for our training course is £199 per person (2 days) and courses run as a maximum of a 1:6 ratio.
Level 2 MTB Leadership Assessment Overview
Assessment for the Level 2 Mountain Bike Leadership Award consists of a one day practical assessment and a home completed written assignment.
It is recommended that you have a 6 week consolidation period between training and assessment to allow sufficient time for you to develop all those new skills and knowledge you have obtained during the training course.
The training and assessments are delivered by British Cycling licenced tutors. All assessments conducted by Velo Coaching take place on the North York Moors.
British Mountain Bike Leaders Level 2 Assessment
One day level 2 MTB Assessment at Hutton Le Hole, North York Moors, YO62 6UB or Scalby village near Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO13 0PT.
8.30 am to 4.00 pm
We have been running MTB leader assessments for several years and we do our best to put you at ease for your journey to become a British Cycling MTB Leader.
You will have email contact with your tutor who is available to answer any questions and will also provide you with the online theory paper which needs to be completed before your assessment day. The day before the assessment we will send you the GPX route for the day so you can do some planning prior to assessment.
On the day we will meet at the National Park Car Park and here your leadership kit will be checked and you will be asked to undertake some trailside repairs.
Please Note -Level 2 MTB training must have been completed prior to attendance on this course.
21st May 2021 – Hutton Le Hole
23rd Aug 2021 – Hutton Le Hole
24th Sep 2021 – Hutton Le Hole
British Mountain Bike Leaders Level 2 Training Course
A two day British Cycling Level 2 MTB Leadership training course
This is run in the North York Moors at Westerdale Village Hall, Whitby YO21 2DT
Day 1 – 08.30am to 7.00pm
Day 2 – 09.00am to 5.00pm